15 November 2011

Slug Bug is Serious Shit

This is more than a game.
If you have the great misfortune of ever having to take a car ride with Dreamy and me I sincerely apologize in advance.  My apology is due to the fact that Dreamy and I play the classic game Slug Bug.  Actually, play isn’t really an accurate representation of intense rivalry that exists between Dreamy and I when it comes to tracking down Volkswagen Beetles.  For us Slug Bug is not simply a game, but a way of life.

In fact, we are so intense that we have alternative rules.  Most notably, we have several Beetles that may only be called when away from their usual locations.  For example, a local aquarium shop has a Bug painted like a clownfish (think Nemo).  Nemo is off limits unless he is away from his usual parking spot in front of the store.  If he is even a space removed from the usual spot Nemo is fair game.  This rule also applies to the red Beetle down the street, the silver one that belongs to an employee at Walgreens, the Geek Squad Bug and any being sold at any dealership (cars not for sale are callable).

If I haven’t made it apparent already, Dreamy and I don’t joke around when it comes to Slug Bug.  Every time I get in the car and buckle my seatbelt I’m on edge the whole freaking ride.  No matter the destination I am constantly on alert because the last thing I want to do is miss one.  We keep a daily count and every Beetle matters.  But of course as much as losing the whole thing sucks, get punched can suck even more.  In fact once Dreamy punched me so hard – forgetting his I’m-a-six-eight-giant-of-a-man strength – my instant reaction was to scream multiple obscenities and punch him right the eff back.  Yes, friends, he hit me so hard I broke the "no hit-backs" rule.

And that got me to thinking; Slug Bug is basically a perfectly acceptable form of domestic violence.  What other game can you play with you friends, your kids, your boyfriend or your grandma that lets you punch them?  When else is punching someone you care about considered appropriate?  Now correct me if I’m wrong, but generally punching your girlfriend as hard as possible would usually be called spousal abuse.

Let’s pretend for a minute that the police were actually called to handle a domestic violence case and it ended up being a game of Slug Bug.  You know, I’m just going to stop right there, because they’d probably laugh in your face.  Or at least look at you like you were nuts.  Because punching in Slug Bug is accepted, expected and just the right damn thing to do.

All of this has lead me to believe that a game of Slug Bug is perhaps the best way to relieve the everyday pressures of a relationship.  Why not solve any and all disagreements by hoping in the car, hunting some Beetles and punching the shit out of each other?  I think with a little Slug Bug we can make the world a better place. 

RED ONE!

4 comments:

  1. My ex and I met and trained at a martial arts class - so we were regularly punching, throwing and burying each other in the mats - me getting nasty little pressure points in which he couldn't always get ... mwhahaha!! It was great fun adn we loved it!

    B/f and I presently tease each other with 'nasty-but-not-really' nicknames - I am often referred to as being fat (nowhere near being overweight!) and I call him a bully. There's never any malice and gentle punching and slaps are regular occurances.

    Dread to think what we'd like playing Slug Bug however. His eyesight is much better than mine so I can see myself getting a dead arm from repeated thumps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh. I've never played slug bug--took me a second to figure out what it was. I guess it's just not something we do around here. Since I'm mostly by myself when I go somewhere I don't get many opportunities. I guess I could play with Atari, my dog, when he goes somewhere with me, but it wouldn't be fair as he's usually sound asleep before we hit the highway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry, but the kid in that strip would have to die. Or at the very least, be unable to ever make a fist again -- with either hand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For those looking for the bad fashion version of this game, check out the YouTube Humor video "How to Play Ugg Slugg" -- http://tinyurl.com/764wl5l

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...