06 May 2010

Hooters and Humanity

Waiting tables makes you believe in stereotypes.  Waiting tables at Hooters makes you believe in certain stereotypes even more.  This is an unfortunately but inevitable fact.  Over time you see patterns.  You read tables and before they've even settled into the booth you can tell if they'll tip a dollar or two or twenty.  You judge, and often you are right.

Many girls refuse to take the tables they think will tip less.  They run to the back or look really busy or just flat out refuse.  Or they'll take the table and give them minimal service.  Why would you give someone extra attention if you know you'll get no return?  Well of course the answer to this is that as true as a stereotype may be it is not always true.  It is not a rule.  It is not a certainty.  

I personally treat every table the same.  Is it because I think I can get a good tip every time?  No, unfortunately I've noticed some truth to the stereotypes too.  But the thing is that every person who comes into Hooters expects a certain level of service.  It is my job as a Hooters Girl to make sure that each and every customer gets that level of service no matter if they tip me zero percent or 100%.  After all, as much as I wish my job were about making money, it's not.  My job is about being a Hooters Girl.  My job is to give that signature service that Hooters is all about.  Every time.  No exceptions.

And this has shown me that as much as serving has made me hate humanity, it has made me love it even more.  Yes, often with giving even the most remarkable service to those people that most would stereotype I get a dismal tip.  It's frustrating and infuriating and is enough to make you hate people.  But then, there are those times you're surprised.  There are those times when that table with six teeth between the four of them leaves you $20 on a $26 dollar tab.  Those are the times when I smile to myself and realize that the world can be just and fair and surprising.  Suddenly you don't just believe in humanity but you are truly inspired by it.

In the end, it goes to show that as much as stereotypes are true - I mean they have to start somewhere after all - they are hardly ever all inclusive.  Girls and people in general may forget this, but personally serving has taught me this lesson more than any experience I've had.  Hooters has taught me many things, but mostly it has taught me to believe in people.  

5 comments:

  1. you make it sound like you're leaving hooter's and have to justify you working there....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh hardly! I was just surprised once again today, but a table that one wouldn't expect a good tip from. It's just one of the things I like about working there.

    Mr. T Dunc, I'd say that this evening Bozone has you a little drunk ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see your point, some nice people leave nice tips. But at the same time, a similarily nice person might not be able to afford to tip as generously as his fellow 'nice man.' I don't think how much someone can tip is a good indicator of their character. So many other factors need to be taken into account when deciding that the guy that only left a 10% is a douche.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I totally agree. Tipping is not an indication of character. However, it certainly can be an indication of someone who probably can't afford to be eating out. Or an indication of someone that simply doesn't know better. But sometimes it is an indication that they are certainly a douche.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm...just noticing my post said nothing about douches. I was talking about stereotypes. I was avoiding calling out examples, but to make my point more clear I'll include a few: teenagers, older people, certain races, ect.

    As I noted I try not to believe in this and treat all my customers as they should be treated. Hope that makes more sense!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...